We’ve Been Framed!

img_8865

I find it interesting how a few walls can change the entire perspective of the space.  The bedrooms are going to be huge.  And Lisa’s walk in closet (I call it that even though I might get a little corner) is bigger than some tiny houses.

We began framing this last weekend and worked several hours on Labor Day.  We got the dividing walls between the master and the bunk room up and also one of the master closet walls.  We decided not to work on any walls with doors this weekend.

One thing we had to figure out first was how to do the walls that butted up against the existing metal support poles.  So, we found the center of the poles and marked it.  Then we marked the center of the bottom, or sole, plate in several locations.  We laid the sole on the floor between the bases of the poles and used a chalk line to line it up straight.  Once it was straight, we nailed it to the floor with our new Hitachi Framing Nail Gun that we bought from Lowes.  It makes the work easier and faster than a traditional hammer and nails.  Plus, Lisa says it makes her feel like a badass using it!

Fortunately, the support pole bases are 1 1/2″ high, which is the thickness of a 2 by.  We decided to do a double sole plate so the end studs rest against the poles.  After we laid the wall out on the floor and nailed it together, we lifted it in place on top of the bottom plate, lined it up and again nailed it in place.  It fit so snuggly between the poles.  We’ll go back later and screw it all down for additional support.

So, on to the closet wall.  If you’ve ever worked on an old house or building, you know you can’t trust that anything is square.  So, it takes a little more work.  In order to find the location of the closet wall we had to first find the location of the wall between the master and the veranda and make sure it was square with the dividing wall between the bedrooms.  Once we located it, we put down a board and temporarily nailed it to the floor.  Then we went off that board with our measurements to locate the opposite master wall and repeated the process.  Once we had that board temporarily nailed to the floor, we were able to determine the closet wall’s location.  Since there weren’t any support poles to work around here, we only needed one sole plate which made our studs a different length.  Once we get all the walls in place and make sure everything is level and plumb, we’ll put in the very top plates.

If you’re wondering why we decided to avoid walls with doors, it’s simple.  Our plans call for new doors and we decided we want to use antique solid wood and glass doors.  Since it was a holiday weekend, we didn’t want to disturb our architect.

So that’s how we spent our holiday weekend.  Hope you enjoyed yours.  We did.  It’s a labor of love.  Here’s some pics.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: